8/7/14

Almond Joy Larabars


I had two giant tubs of dates in my apartment, and even though they're great to eat by themselves (or with tahini or peanut butter!) I wanted to make something brand new with them. So I created my own larabar flavor - almond joy!


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
  • 1 cup pitted dates (I used 16 medjool)
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 - 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs




Instructions 

Chop your almonds in a food processor so there are still some pea-sized chunks. Add the dates, cocoa, and coconut until a sticky dough forms. Chill the dough in the fridge for a few minutes (so the mixture doesn't melt the chocolate) and then pulse the chips into a dough. Using a rolling pin on the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, shape the dough into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes, then cut into 10 bars, and wrap in Saran Wrap. These bars store great in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!