9/19/14

Easy Chana Masala


I love Indian food so much! However, it can sometimes be hard to find a restaurant that can make vegan dishes, and when they do, it can be kind of pricey. I threw together a few ingredients that I already had lying around my kitchen and I think it tastes way better than dining out! 


Ingredients
  • 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained, plus the liquid
  • 1 cup marinara sauce (I used store bought, but you can make your own if you'd like)
  • 1 tsp olive oil 
  • 2 cups spinach (I used frozen)
  • 2 tsp curry powder (Trader Joe's curry powder is great!)
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast

Instructions

Drain and rinse the chickpeas, set aside the liquid. In a nonstick saucepan, cook the spinach and olive oil on medium heat until fully cooked. Add the marinara, chickpea liquid, curry powder, and nutritional yeast, and whisk until combined. Add the chickpeas, and let the mixture boil on medium low heat for about five minutes or until it has thickened to your preference. Serve with basmati rice, steamed veggies, and gluten-free flatbread for an Indian feast! Serves 3.

I can't stress enough how easy this recipe is - I probably threw it together in about 15 minutes. And you probably have these ingredients in your pantry already, so no weird ingredients or time-consuming veggie prep. Plus, between the chickpeas, spinach, and the nutritional yeast, this recipe is packed with protein! Enjoy!