10/14/13

Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes


It wouldn't be fall cooking unless there was pumpkin involved! We have plenty of pumpkin on hand (we bought a dozen giant cans) so I put myself to work making a delicious pancake recipe. This makes a rather large batch, so you can always halve the recipe (or just eat them all)!


Ingredients
  • 1 c all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Cup 4 Cup)
  • 1/2 c buckwheat flour
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 c applesauce
  • 1 c pumpkin puree 
  • 2 c almond milk
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • Crushed pecans/chocolate chips/walnuts/other desired add-ins


Instructions
  • Prepare a nonstick or oiled pan or griddle on medium heat.
  • Whisk together flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and spices.
  • Whisk in remaining ingredients until combined.
  • Pour 1/4 c of batter on the pan, and flip over when bubbles start to form. 
  • If you are using toppings in the pancake, add them to the measuring cup before you pour the batter.
  • Top with earth balance and maple syrup or toppings of your choice.


I love buckwheat pancakes. My mom would always make them for me when I was little, so they've always held a special place in my heart. The distinct, nutty taste pairs very well with the pumpkin and the spices. It truly tastes like fall! Enjoy :)