9/28/13

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, The Baking Ballerina! This is a place for me to keep track of all my favorite recipes, and also a place to share my favorite dishes.

Let me introduce myself - My name is Sasha, and I live in the Boston area. I've been dancing since I was 3 years old and I am a pre-professional ballet student. I've loved baking and cooking since I was little - I was always in the kitchen making a batch of cookies or some other tasty treat for my family. As a dancer, however, I've become accustomed to making adjustments to not-so-healthy recipes. When you're an athlete, it's important to adequately nourish your body, which includes cutting out the unhealthy fats and refined sugars that is found in so many recipes.

I am also a gluten free vegan. Due to constant health problems last year, my doctor recommended that I avoid gluten and dairy products completely, and I have never gone back - I feel more energized and happy, and rarely get sick any more. Later this year, I did some of my own research on the benefits of a plant-based diet from a health perspective and an environmental perspective, and decided to go fully vegan.

I'm just going to come out and say it. Eating gluten-free is really hard. And eating vegan on top of it is even harder. So my goal is to post easy-to-follow recipes that are good for your body but won't leave you feeling deprived.

Please enjoy and stay tuned for recipes!